Sunday, February 20, 2011

Are You Still Excited?

How do you know when a relationship is truly special?  What makes people feel like their relationship is worth taking all the risks?   For me, it's all about the excitement.

Normally as a relationship moves forward one of two things happens; you either grow closer and more comfortable together, or you get bored and start drifting apart.  Either way the dates become far more relaxed and you spend more and more of your time sitting on your living room couch watching rented movies as opposed to actually going out and spending money to watch one at the theater.

Shannon and I had been dating for roughly two months and I had a big date planned.  I knew how much Shannon liked Disney, and Disney On Ice was putting on shows up in Salt Lake.  I bought us some pretty sweet tickets and was excited to take her on a date she would really enjoy.  What I didn't expect was how nervous I would be.

As I was getting ready for the date I realized that I was REALLY nervous for some reason.  I guess that I had spent a good amount of money on the tickets and I really wanted the night to be special.  I tried to relax, but I really wanted the night to go well.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I'm not proud of what I did next to calm my nerves.  I got into my car and started driving.  Before I even realized what I'd done, I had all new clothes to wear on my date.  What was I thinking?!?  Why was I still trying to impress this girl?  I mean, I'm a guy.  I'm not supposed to worry about this stuff.  But there I was with all brand new clothes to wear on my date that night.

Did we have a good time on our date that night?  Yes.  Did she even notice that I had done anything out of the ordinary?  Of course not.  But that really wasn't the important part.  The only thing that really mattered was that I was so excited about having a good night out with the person that I cared so much about that I was willing to do anything to make it perfect.

And that's how I knew that I had something special.  That's how I knew that she was the one.  Because every time that we went out I wanted it to be perfect.  Every time I saw her I got excited.  And every moment that I spent with her became an amazing memory.

All of that still stands true today.  I'm  like a stupid little kid that gets excited to show off when I empty the dishwasher without being asked.  I love surprising my wife by washing her car without telling her.  Or getting her chocolate milk in the morning so that she doesn't have to get out of bed.  I love that I'm still excited just to see my wife when I walk through the front door.  I love that she makes the little things so exciting.

1 comment: