A few weeks ago we went to St. Louis for a little weekend trip. My friends were going to be in town from Utah and Adam's best friend and his wife live there. We had our whole weekend planned, but things did not go according to our agenda. First, about an hour out from St. Louis, our air conditioning quit working. It was in the middle of the afternoon, about 90 degrees, and we had a crying baby in the backseat. So we found a Walmart in some tiny town that said they would help us. They switched a fuse and we were back on the road. About 5 minutes later it went out again. Thank goodness Walmart didn't charge us. It was about 5 this time so we mangaed with the windows rolled down. We made it STL and went to dinner with Ms. Susan which was so fun and then we headed to Jordan and Jan's.
It turns out Jordan couldn't get Saturday or Sunday off so we had to go places without him :( The next morning we took the car to the shop and they said they couldn't fix it until first thing Monday morning. Lovely. So we rode around in Jan's car, which was very nice of her. Then, my friends from Utah called to say they wouldn't be able to make it. So I was pretty bummed about that because we ahd wanted to spend Monday with them. That day did start to look up though. We went to the zoo, which was so fun. And there was a baby elephant. Which pretty much made my lifetime. I may or may not have gone hysterical and caused a scene. That night we went to a Cardinal's game. It was... interesting. Adam had a lot of fun, but Peyton and I spent most of our time walking around the stands. Our seats were right in the sun and she just couldn't handle it. Well, me either.
We went to church the next day and just had a nice relaxing day. Monday morning we got up and packed and waited until we got the call that our car was ready. It finally came, an hour later than what was said, but whatever. Adam went to get the car and they had replaced the compressor, which is not an inexpensive little thing. They said that our clutch needed to be replaced, but it was going to cost a ton more and we decided to wait til we got back to Memphis.
We made it an hour and 15 mins out of STL. We were going up a hill on the freeway at like 75 and then all of a sudden we couldn't go faster than 20. It was quite frightening. So we were putt-ing along in the shoulder for a couple of miles until we came to this little auto body shop in the middle of nowhere. NOWHERE. We pulled in and they literally had to push our car into the garage. I was freaking out. We were feeling really dumb because obviously it was our clutch. The guy said it would probably be the next day before they could finish it. Luckily, there was a gross little inn up the road for us to stay in. yuck. I think he probably saw defeat all over my face because he decided to help us out!
He kept his guys working on our car for 2 hours after the shop closed and he charged us about $300 less than what the people who fixed our compressor wanted to. It was amazing! We may have had to sit there for 5 hours, but we made it our alive. And in time to drive to Lambert's for dinner. Yum!
As we were headed to Lambert's, Adam pointed out how lucky we were that all of this had happened to us. I, of course, thought he was crazy. But, we saved so much money by not fixing our clutch in STL. And, if our friends had come in town on Monday than we would have left Monday night. All of this could have happened to us at 10 at night and then we would have been in serious trouble. I'm glad I have a husband who can stay optimistic all the time and see what I can't. He's the best.
This is so long! I don't even have good pictures because I was too busy being mad over something super lame, but here's a few.
![]() |
| BABY ELEPHANT! :) |
![]() |
| Redbirds game. |


I'm sorry things didn't go according to plan...I can be really grumpy and inflexible when things don't work out like I wanted them, too, but I'm glad Adam is optimistic, and I'm glad you can look back and be grateful for his optimism, even if you want to punch him in the face at the time of his optimism...haha. Hey, at least your car didn't blow up. ;)
ReplyDeletejust read this lol love you and sorry again!!
ReplyDelete