This was not a conversation that I wanted to have over the phone. First of all, awkward; secondly, it was going to be hard enough to have the conversation without having to make the random phone call.
I knew what I wanted, but I wasn't sure that we were really to that point yet. I was going to meet Shannon's parents for the first time, and since they live in Tennessee it wasn't a trip that we were going to be able to make very often. I knew that I wanted to marry her and that I wasn't going to get to talk to her dad in person again for at least another 6 months. It had to happen.
I had spent the week at their home in Tennessee and everything had gone perfectly. I got along with the family really well and felt like things had gone great with her dad. We had decided to drive back to school so that Shannon could have the truck to drive and Shannon's dad and sister drove back with us to make the drive easier. Fortunately/unfortunately that meant that I got to spend the night in a hotel room with the man whose oldest daughter I wanted to marry. That meant that there would be plenty of time for awkward conversations and even more time for me to be grilled. Great!
Scott was really cool and we actually got along really well and it wasn't nearly as awkward as I thought it would be to spend time alone with him. Of course, we still hadn't had "the talk" yet. The conversation migrated its way to Shannon and I, and I realized that Shannon had been really open with her parents about us. She had told them everything and it was no shock to her dad what my intentions were. He knew exactly what his daughter wanted and was okay with it. This made my job so easy! Rather than ask the question directly I said, "Well of course Shannon and I wouldn't want to move forward without you and your wife's blessing."
He responded that we definitely had it and that he just wanted his daughter to be happy. Coolest father-in-law ever!
I love reading your story and it is going to be awesome for you kids to have it in your words some day. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete